Re: application/ttml+xml charset and encoding

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Michael Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com> wrote:

> This is a bit off-topic, especially in light of our decision today, but…**
> **
>
> ** **
>
> Unfortunately, in addition to encoding values, 3023 also uses the charset
> values of “iso-2022-jp” and “8859-1”; and the default value of charset (for
> text/xml) is “us-ascii”, so the semantics of the field are quite clearly
> mixed up in 3023, and it is not just that the field name should have been
> “encoding”.

8859-1 and us-ascii are labels for both character sets and encodings.
iso-2022-jp is a label for an encoding that supports multiple character
sets.

Historically, there has never been a careful distinction between character
set (repertoire) and encoding. So I think you are attempting to ask for
something (clarity of usage) that has never been there.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Can a decoder arrive at the right answer most of the time with such an
> overloading of this field (which I think is your point)?  Yes.

I'm not sure what you are asking. If charset is set to any of these three
values { 8859-1, iso-2022-jp, us-ascii }, there is no ambiguity about what
is to be decoded.

If the author or transport misspecified the charset, then that is a
different problem.