RE: RE: Re: Re: TTML and aspect ratio

s/ below the bottom of the frame/ above the bottom of the frame/

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Hayes [mailto:Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com]
Sent: 01 February 2013 08:23
To: John Birch; David Ronca; public-tt@w3.org
Subject: RE: RE: Re: Re: TTML and aspect ratio

Well since one doesn't draw actually anything into the root container, except in very simple TTML; what is interesting to me is properly aligning the text content with the underlying video display.
Now in so much as the root container defines the coordinate system, then I believe the most general system is one that aligns top left 0,0 with 0,0 of the underlying media, and X,Y with the bottom right of the media. Since X and Y can be any real value, it doesn't really matter what value we use so 100%,100% seems adequate. If we then allow negative values and values beyond 100, we can address any relative position.

In such a coordinate system if I want centred left aligned text to appear just below the bottom of the frame; I create a region with alignment centre/bottom, and place it at 50% 90%; if I give it a width of N characters (or better yet define shrink fit regions - a topic for another day); then it works in any aspect ratio.
I can also see utility in being able to have conditional styles, as I may for example want longer text lines in a wide screen presentation (also a topic for another day).

I don't really see is the benefit of changing the 0,0 point, since any transformation I can do to the global coordinates, I can also do by a transform to the region coordinates, but perhaps I am missing something; perhaps you can explain the advantage of moving the root container.