schemas too "lax"

From: Michael Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:21:13 -0700
To: <public-tt@w3.org>
The current schemas don’t reject attributes on elements that:

1.       are undefined (e.g. junk:junk=”junk”),

2.       typos of valid attributes (e.g. ttm:descr=”t”), and

3.       valid attributes from TTML namespaces that are forbidden (e.g. <tt ttm:desc=”t” …>).

I understand that this was intentional to enable foreign namespace attributes without requiring their schemas.

This negative side effect stems from the use ##other and processContents=”lax” in combination with commercial validators not even trying to validate when the schemaLocation is actually provided (lax is supposed to be “best effort”, not “just forget all about it”).

I believe that the negative side effects of this “feature” in practice far outweigh its benefits and would like to change this to “strict”.

If a user is going to the trouble to use XML validation with the TTML schema, why wouldn’t they also ensure that they have schemas handy for the foreign namespaces in use?

Regards,

                Mike

Michael A DOLAN

TBT, Inc.    PO Box 190