RE: profile summary

I may not be understanding correctly, but I think I have an issue with point 5.

What I interpret you as saying is that a use case that only uses part of a current TTML feature (e.g. only uses RGBA hex colour definitions) must create that *subset* as a *new* feature.

The problem I have with this is that

a)      An existing processor that supports the currently defined colour feature might reject a document marked with the new subset feature even though it is perfectly capable of processing the document.

b)      In fact, a new document 'profile' that only contains subsets of existing functionality would not be accepted by such a processor... if the designer of the processor had not updated his profile handling mechanism to incorporate the new subset features.

In fact the existing profile / feature mechanism is not the problem... since it can be used to indicate the necessary functionality required in a processor (even if some of that functionality is unused by the document instance (which is clearly the norm for most document instances).
What IMHO is required is a different mechanism that can be used when specifying document structures that can be used to validate and define how the features of base TTML have been constrained.

I do agree that new features defined by derived specifications that are not in base TTML should have a new #feature defined.

But perhaps I misunderstand your proposal?

Best regards,
John

John Birch | Strategic Partnerships Manager | Screen
Main Line : +44 1473 831700 | Ext : 270 | Direct Dial : +44 1473 834532
Mobile : +44 7919 558380 | Fax : +44 1473 830078
John.Birch@screensystems.tv<mailto:John.Birch@screensystems.tv> | www.screensystems.tv<http://www.screensystems.tv> | https://twitter.com/screensystems

Visit us at
IBC, Hall 1 Stand C49, The RAI, Amsterdam, 13-17 September

P Before printing, think about the environment