RE: Spec question on textOutline

Yes, I think the text is not ambiguous; I guess I'm really questioning its usefulness. As John points out, at least in a captioning environment it's pretty uniformly set to black.  It would indeed be a breaking change so I would consider this a 1.1 issue; that is assuming we think its big enough to worry about.

Sean.

From: Michael Dolan [mailto:mdolan@newtbt.com]
Sent: 26 April 2013 17:07
To: public-tt@w3.org
Subject: RE: Spec question on textOutline

The spec is currently quite clear I think that it is the tts:color value (same as the font):

...if no color term is present, the computed value of the tts:color applies.

I see your point about it being locked to another color that is implementation dependent.  Are you proposing we adopt the tts:color language?

The initial value of the tts:color property is considered to be implementation dependent. In the absence of end-user preference information, a conformant presentation processor should use an initial value that is highly contrastive to the background color of the root container region.

I see the logic in that, but this change would be non-backwards compatible, though, which is unfortunate.

A bit eye-opening for me is the syntax interpretation that allows length but no color.  It never occurred to me that <length> without <color> was permitted, but indeed, the only required field is one length value.  This certainly makes the decoder parsing a lot more interesting than I thought. So, to be clear, the permitted constructions are:

<length>
<length> <length>
<color> <length>

Good thing color values have "#".