ISSUE-197: charset/encoding unconstrained [DFXP 1.0]

From: Timed Text Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:27:44 +0000
To: public-tt@w3.org
ISSUE-197: charset/encoding unconstrained [DFXP 1.0]

http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/197

Raised by: Mike Dolan
On product: DFXP 1.0

TTML is silent on the document charset (xml encoding) permitted. Since the core XML specification permits virtually anything, then TTML is also unconstrained. Certain encodings, such as "binary" are generally non-interoperable. Further, since we permit other namespaces, constraints on those should also be required. For example, even if TTML is constrained to utf-8 and utf-16, then allowing other namespaces to use binary would make the document using such namespaces unparseable.

XML decoders are only required to support utf-8 and utf-16. Propose we so constrain TTML.

Related to Issue-196: https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/issues/196
Related to Action-131: https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/131
Related to Action-129: https://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/TT/tracker/actions/129