Re: more profile confusion

It would be good to make this more explicit in the spec. As well it
maybe worth considering to delete redundant features from the DFXP Profiles.

- Andreas
Am 15.03.2012 07:45, schrieb Glenn Adams:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Michael A Dolan <mdolan@newtbt.com
> <mailto:mdolan@newtbt.com>> wrote:
>
>     Either way, I am also confused about the practice of including
>     various features concurrently – both in the Recommendation and as
>     used by 3^rd parties. I don’t know what it means to include:
>
>     1.            Both (for example): #backgroundColor and
>     #backgroundColor-block; or
>
>     2.            All of (for example): #backgroundColor,
>     #backgroundColor-block, #backgroundColor-inline, and
>     #backgroundColor-region; or
>
>     3.            Both (for example):  #presentation and #core.
>
>     In #1, doesn’t #backgroundColor sweep in all semantics and
>     placement?  If so, what does it mean to add the more restricted
>     one? And if #backgroundColor does not include all semantics and
>     placement, what is excluded? (This is just an example and the same
>     question can be asked of all the #[feature]-[subset] constructions.)
>

> specifying that #backgroundColor is required is equivalent to
> specifying that #backgroundColor-{block,inline,region} are required;
>
> the reason for having the subset features is that one may not require
> all, e.g., may not require inline background color, but only require
> block and region, in which case one would specify that
> #backgroundColor-{block,region} are required; or if one is lazy (and
> willing to risk running on a presentation processor that happens to
> support block and region background color but not inline background
> color), then one could merely specify #backgroundColor as required
>
> so in this case, specifying #backgroundColor-block is redundant
>
>     In #2, all the subset constructions are specified. How is this
>     different from simply #backgroundColor?
>

> no difference, specifying the subset constructions is redundant
>
>     In #3, #core is included in #presentation, so isn’t #presentation
>     adequate?
>

> #core is a subset of #presentation, so in specifying both the former
> is redundant
>
> ¿claro?

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200
http: www.irt.de | Email: tai@irt.de

registration court&   managing director:
Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns