Cell Grid Safe Area [was Re: ISSUE-163 (Cell units): Clarify use of cell units in certain properties [DFXP 1.0]]

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM, John Birch <John.Birch@screensystems.tv>wrote:

>  Cell grid is taken from root extent, which implies that cell 0, 0 is at
> the top left boundary of the root extent.
>
> Unfortunately in practise this is often undesirable as it is unlikely that
> you would want text placed so close to the boundary of the root extent.***
> *
>
> Is there any *padding* *like* mechanism that would allow a ‘safe area’ to
> be defined around the edge of the ‘virtual grid’ created by cell resolution.

We do not define that the root container is coterminous with the visible
screen. The external authoring context determines the origin of the root
container. I believe we have assumed that all of the root container is
within a safe area, but I agree that the spec does not specifically read on
this point.