Re: more profile confusion ( ISSUE-170)

Thanks for taking this up. Background of the question is still, what the
interpretation should be if no profile element or attribute was
specified in a TTML document.

It would be interesting to know if current TTML processors are
conformant TTML transformation and/or conformant TTML presentation
processors.

Best regards,

Andreas
Am 13.06.2012 05:04, schrieb Glenn Adams:

> [...]
> rules out such an implementation, it's just that it could not claim to
> be either a conforming transformation or presentation processor.
>

>     Am 11.06.2012 19:42, schrieb Glenn Adams:
>>
>>     On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de
>>     <mailto:tai@irt.de>> wrote:
>>
>>         From my reading the profile mechanism is a TTML feature
>>         itself and can be optional. So if the context make the
>>         profile mechanism optional it is not needed for a TTML
>>         processor to implement it. Am I correct?
>>

>>     yes, #profile is an enumerated feature [1]
>>
>>     [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-profile
>>
>>     however, it is also a mandatory feature for both transformation
>>     [2] and presentation [3] profiles
>>
>>     [2]
>>     http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-transformation-mandatory-table
>>     [3]
>>     http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#feature-presentation-mandatory-table
>>
>>     finally, a conformant transformation processor [4] and a
>>     conformant presentation processor [5] are obliged to support the
>>     transformation and presentation profiles, respectively
>>
>>     [4]
>>     http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#conformance-transformation-processor
>>     [5]
>>     http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#conformance-presentation-processor
>>
>>     so, when you ask "it is not needed for a TTML processor to
>>     implement it", then the answer is yes if you mean either a
>>     "conformant TTML transformation processor" or a "conformant TTML
>>     presentation processor"
>>

>>         Furthermore it maybe a possibility for TTML 1.1 to reflect on
>>         the profile mechanism with respect to it´s implementation by
>>         TTML users/processors.
>>

>>     what I think you may be asking here is whether a TTML processor
>>     may be a "conformant TTML generic processor" [6], but neither a
>>     (conformant) transformation processor nor a (conformant)
>>     presentation processor; is that correct?
>>
>>     [6] http://www.w3.org/TR/ttaf1-dfxp/#conformance-generic-processor
>>

>>         Best regards,
>>
>>         Andreas
>>
>>         Am 06.06.2012 18:28, schrieb Glenn Adams:
>>>         ok, that's a reasonable clarification; i agree that "if the
>>>         document interchange context does not specify a profile" is
>>>         not sufficiently precise
>>>
>>>         On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Michael A Dolan
>>>         <mdolan@newtbt.com <mailto:mdolan@newtbt.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>             I agree with the spirit of what you say.  But as
>>>             drafted, the Recommendation is using a defined term,
>>>             “profile”, so I disagree that it does not, as drafted,
>>>             require a profile document.  That’s the issue.  Even if
>>>             you read it differently, the point is that others read
>>>             it the same as I do, and therefore it needs
>>>             clarification.  I proposed “conforming subset or
>>>             something more generic”.  How about “…and if the
>>>             document interchange context does not specify a profile
>>>             document, or other equivalent set of feature designators,…”
>>>
>>>             Whatever wording works for you is fine with me.

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200