Re: Padding on tt:p and tt:span elements

Am 24.04.2012 16:23, schrieb Glenn Adams:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Andreas Tai <tai@irt.de
> <mailto:tai@irt.de>> wrote:
>
>     As in TTML a region has always a predefined size, tt:p- and
>     tt:span elements are the better choices to apply a non-transparent
>     background color on a subtitle block that dynamically grows and
>     shrinks with the corresponding text.
>

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "has always a predefined
> size". If by this you mean the "same" size, then I would not agree. A
> region's size (extent) can be changed at any time by using <tt:set>.

With "predefined" I wanted to express that the width and the height of
the region are set before the text is rendered. The values are defined
in a TTML document by a tts:extent attribute that applies to a region or
(if no tts:extent attribute applies) by the default value "auto" which
means that the region has the same width and height as the root container.

Maybe the timing semantic of "predefined" and "before" can be a bit
misleading here. It is maybe more that the width and height of the
region are independent of the size of the content that is flowed into
the region.

Hope this makes it clearer.

>     Unfortunately padding cannot be applied to tt:p and tt:span
>     elements and the very common use case to have empty space between
>     text and the border of a centered "text box" with dynamic width is
>     hard to implement (for an illustration of two use cases see the
>     attached images).
>
>     Therefore the EBU-Working group that specifies the TTML subset
>     EBU-TT sees the requirements to add padding as an applicable style
>     property for the tt:p and tt:span elements.
>
>     Best regards,
>
>     Andreas

Andreas Tai
Production Systems Television IRT - Institut fuer Rundfunktechnik GmbH
R&D Institute of ARD, ZDF, DRadio, ORF and SRG/SSR
Floriansmuehlstrasse 60, D-80939 Munich, Germany

Phone: +49 89 32399-389 | Fax: +49 89 32399-200
http: www.irt.de | Email: tai@irt.de

registration court&   managing director:
Munich Commercial, RegNo. B 5191
Dr. Klaus Illgner-Fehns