Re: metadata and Dublin Core

On Saturday, September 16, 2006, 5:13:50 AM, Glenn wrote:

GAA> Dear Chris,

GAA> I see that I failed to forward the response of the TT WG to your
GAA> question (below)
GAA> as follows:

GAA> <quote>
GAA> Yes, Dublin Core vocabulary was carefully reviewed for possible use, and
GAA> the decision of the group was that the intended use was sufficiently
GAA> different to warrant adoption. This comment was also received during the
GAA> 1st Last Call, the response to which was recorded at:
GAA> http://www.w3.org/2005/03/21/DFXPLastCallResponses.html#Issue9.
GAA> </quote>

Thanks, that responds to my original question:

> Many (but not all) of the elements seem to have Dublin
> Core equivalents. Was Dublin Core considered and rejected
> for this type of metadata?

in particular, that you had examined Dublin Core and also that you
needed finer granularity to describe portions of a document.

GAA> You may also note the recent thread [1] on this reflector with Al
GAA> Gilman, who had originally raised the same question during the 1st Last
GAA> Call of DFXP [2]. I believe that Al has agreed with our final conclusion
GAA> that:

GAA> "we found the analogy to SVG so compelling that we based these on that"

That part isn't clear to me. SVG simply has a metadata element,into
which one can put anything as long as its well formed. The only item of
metadata that SVG standardizes is the 'glue layer' between an Open GIS
Consortium map coordinate system and the internal SVG one - and that is
done using OGC metadata and a single supplementary attribute for the
transform between one and the other.

What are the compelling SVG features that you refer to? Do you just mean
the title, desc and metadata elements themselves?

GAA> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2006Sep/0004.html
GAA> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2005Apr/0038.html

GAA> If you would, please indicate if these responses represent a
GAA> satisfactory conclusion
GAA> to your comment.

GAA> Regards,
GAA> Glenn