Re: Color fidelity during transcoding

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here.  We needed to define
what the numeric R G and B values in our colours meant.  We say that
they are as defined in the sRGB specification.

If you then take our content and render it on a system with different
colour characteristics, it's your job to work out the colour
transforms and corrections that need to be applied.  This is strictly
out of scope for a timed text specification.  It's in scope for the
sRGB specification, and I believe it's covered there.

We could insert an informative note that if timed text is composed
with content, or rendered onto drawing surfaces, that have other
colour spaces or formats, then the colours may need conversion to
preserve visual fidelity, but more than that is surely not our job.

Unless you feel that sRGB is under-specified, whereupon we should
choose a colour space that is fully specified instead, of course.

So sure, I agree, you can't take sRGB values and blast them onto a
709 display without doing colour space conversion, but do we suggest
you can?  Why would you think you could?

--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime