Re: Coments - last call draft (design forward first?)

At 11:46 AM +1000 3/31/05, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>1. Meeting requirements
>
>[[[
>
>It is intended that a more feature-rich profile, known presently as
>the Authoring Format Exchange Profile (AFXP), be developed and
>published to address the full set of documented requirements.
>
>]]]
>
>Is there any concrete reason to believe this will take place? The
>group has had its charter extended already, just to produce this
>restricted draft. Is the group working on this more complete version
>already? Or is this just a hope?

 From an accessibility perspective, the following are not unreasonable
to expect:

1 [constraint] The DFXP, if processed through disability-adaptive
presentation transforms, must achieve a functional user experience.

2. [preference] The DFXP should contain, fully modeled, all the
information in the AFXP needed for deriving alternate look and feel
bindings adaptive for diverse people with disabilities [not just
sighted, Deaf people].

2 [prognosis] Deriving disability-adaptive look and feel from the
AFXP will produce more usable user experiences than deriving
disability-adaptive look and feel from the DFXP, given the current
order of freezing the profiles.

3 [prognosis] Experience with disability-adaptive alternative
presentations of AFXP content will make clear places where we should
have done things differently in the DFXP.

So some concern about the freezing of the DFXP to a PR before
completing the CR experience with the AFXP is natural from an
accessibility perspective.

In terms of meeting requirements, the possibly under-explored use
case is one where the DFXP is delivered directly to a player (User
Agent) running on a Customer Premises Equipment computer -- is the
display and control of the text stream suitably adaptable in this
case?

Al