Re: Annotation of Timed Text

At 11:20 -0400 6/27/03, John Hanna wrote:
>It seems that "annotation" and "meta-data" have quite a conceptual overlap,
>but are not the same in current usage.
>
>Annotations are included in XML Schema as full elements. TT Requirements
>include meta-data elements that could be used for annotation, but it seems
>that some annotations might not fit that model, for example, if an
>annotation didn't reference a single element, but needed to say "element 1
>doesn't agree with element 7". That could be shifted to an "external" form
>of annotation document that just points to the multiple TT document contents
>elements, but given that there wouldn't be reverse pointers, would it be
>possible to display that external annotation material simultaneously in a
>timed manner?

I guess I don't see why the meta-data structure shouldn't be able to
say things about multiple elements either, so I'm not sure I'm seeing
the semantic distinction still.  Can you say more?  I'm probably
being dense.

>If there was some sort of dynamic formation of a combined
>document for timed display, wouldn't the structure need to support
>distinctions between content and annotation anyway?
>
>I note that MPEG-7 is mentioned in an editorial comment in TT Requirements.
>Doesn't MPEG-7 do much of what Timed Text will do? It seems to address
>annotation also. Possibly there should be more connection between the two.

I think the purpose and function of MPEG-7 was intended to be very
different from timed text, though I do not doubt that there is
overlap -- and that, for example, an mpeg-7 timed meta-data document
which contains caption information might be convertable into a
timed-text document and styled for display.  But the functions are
quite different.

--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime