Re: TT and subtitling

On Friday, January 31, 2003, 9:11:57 PM, Glenn wrote:

> [...]

This ties directly into whether TT is an autoring format, a delivery
format, or both; and also, whether the model is that
many device-specific versions are generated/authored or one portable
one.

GAA> On the other hand, clearly it would be a mistake, and I would
GAA> never advocate sole reliance on use of bitmap representations; I just
GAA> want to be certain that we meet the needs of common authoring and
GAA> delivery systems, where there are many more uses made of bitmap glyph
GAA> downloads than outlines at this time.

True. Then again, there is lots more use of proprietary binary formats
than XML, too, in that area. So change is possible, one hopes.

GAA> One possible way this might be used is as follows:

GAA> 1. authoring and distribution system specify outlines inline;

GAA> 2. emission system that knows device capabilities pre-rasterizes,
GAA> changing outlines to bitmaps;

Yes, that is certainly possible.

GAA> If we fail to define a way to embed bitmaps, then in this scenario,
GAA> the emission system would be forced to use a different content format
GAA> or to extend it in a potentially non-interoperable way.

Yes.

GAA> I would like to see us be able to support this scenario without
GAA> requiring a different content format or a non-standard extension.

I can certainly understand that.