	From: Johnb@screen.subtitling.com [mailto:Johnb@screen.subtitling.com]
	Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 12:48 PM
	To: Glenn A. Adams
	Cc: public-tt@w3.org
	Subject: Data Tunneling

		I wrote:
		Teletext magazine transmissions consist of timed text where different text instances are repeated at intevals (page refresh). In addition other features such as clock and fasttext require periodic transmission much the same as V-Chip ratings. TT might be a useful format for the definition and exchange of Teletext magazine content.

	Glenn wrote:

	Are you saying you support adding data tunneling features to TT?
	If so, please attempt to justify this based on our charter.

		I'm not sure quite what you mean by data tunneling - V-chip ratings are IMHO not data, they are short hand for text that is periodically displayed (at user request). The same argument can be extended to Teletext clock - its timed text in some senses - being periodically transmitted, but it differs from V-chip ratings by having a changing value. Why should TT be limited to non repeating (from a display perspective) text. In short - I would support the inclusion of repeated periodic transmission of static text elements in TT. It would be a pity if such a mechanism could not include an ability to send non static text too (e.g. clocks etc). This is where I see TT and HTML radically differ - HTML is static (with add ons to make it dynamic) TT is dynamic (at least from the user perspective).

		regards John Birch

	The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.