RE: Why use time as a unit of measurement? (was: Proposal 0.0)

As an FYI, SMIL 2.0 already supports what you describe below via
the syncMaster attribute. For example,

<par>
  <video src="..." syncBehavior="locked" syncMaster="true"/>
  <audio src="..." syncBehavior="locked"/>
  <textstream src="..." syncBehavior="locked" syncTolerance="0.5s"/>
</par>

In this example, the video media serves as the sync master, while
the audio and text streams are locked to the video. The text stream
may slip up to +/- 0.5s from sync without resync.

G.