RE: TT and subtitling

I tend to agree with the NOT-STYLE comment : With that "hidden-hover" tag
for example, the possibility should exist within a text stream for generic
markup : But it should not actually specify the screen representation :
that should be left to css.

The specific CSS support is then left to the displaying device.

For example some UAs may wish to render this as display:none, others as
display:block.

One person may set up a user-stylesheet to render hidden markup as bold,
another as a particular colour (because for example they have a degree of
colour blindness). Some people may not wish to see the semantic markup at
all, while others may want terminology explained and displayed differently
(eg the <dt> tag in HTML).

These can all be handled by css without specifying the actual display type
inline in the code.

Cheers,
Neil Smith.

At 10:35 05/02/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>"semantic markup vocabulary should be avoided where possible"
>
>It may be necessary to include markup that has semantic implications, for
>example hidden text that provides definitions of terms, expansions of
>acronyms etc.
>
>The M.D.<hidden-hover>Managing Director<\hidden-hover> of Blah corporation
>today....
>
>Such a tag would have a meaning to the viewer implementation yet is also in
>effect converying semantic information about the text it encompases. So I
>tend towards a more mechanistic view - that the tags should represent
>mechanisms involved in TT delivery and display (but not STYLE :-) - not the
>semantic of the text itself. So TT should perhaps support layers of text
>presentation - yet not in a way that implies what those layers are for.....
>
>regards
>
>John Birch
>
>The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily
>reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
for a connected world.