	From: Johnb@screen.subtitling.com [mailto:Johnb@screen.subtitling.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 12:30 PM
	To: Glenn A. Adams
	Cc: public-tt@w3.org
	Subject: RE: Balanced lines

	Glenn,

	Interesting, I was unaware that there was a type-setting term for this. I'm not surprised though.

	[GA] I can't imagine that any subtitle/cc user agent would implement it.

	It's true that the majority of current distribution formats assume that there is little or no UA re-layout of content, that's because these formats are distribution formats. TT-AF is not. I anticipate that there will be a requirement to translate TT-AF into distribution formats for many applications - not just subtitling / captioning. Since these distribution formats may well implicitly impose various display limitations (e.g. fixed line lengths, colour limitations, font sizes), the inclusion of mechanisms within TT-AF to hint at the preferred end results would be useful.

	Line balancing is hardly rocket science...

	BTW - I'm not suggesting a sentential analysis of the content.

	But certain basic rules.

	1) In a fixed size region - move words from line to line until line lengths balance.
	2) avoid short (i.e. 1 character or 2 charater words at the ends of sentences)

	e.g.
	She was annoyed because
	I didn't ask her to come with us.

	is preferred over

	She was annoyed because I
	didn't ask her to come with us.

	regards
	John Birch

	The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily
	reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.