RE: TT and subtitling/captioning - separating timing from style f rom content

Glenn,

I'm not as familiar with what can be achieved wrt line break using just
style...

To give you an idea of what is required in subtitling / captioning take a
look at
http://accurapid.com/journal/22subtitles.htm
<http://accurapid.com/journal/22subtitles.htm>
Section BM__Toc122799347.1. Line-breaks

I also include below a section (Section 4.10) cut from the Australian
Caption Centre's guidelines...
This is a draft document (acc_ap_b.doc)

There is a link to the full document on this page
http://www.joeclark.org/auscapcolours.html
<http://www.joeclark.org/auscapcolours.html>

Don't take either of these as gospel though.....
I merely include them as illustrations of what various organisations think
is a **good** standard for captioning / subtitling.

If a CSS/XXX style model can 'easily' support the line breaking concepts
outlined by these documents,
ideally without requiring explicit line breaks within the content - then
great.

I guess I might still want soft hyphens tho' :-)

regards
John Birch

The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily

reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.