RE: TT and subtitling/captioning - temporal flow of content

Erik,

<EH>
Well described, thanks.  I'm curious what happens when the read-interval
plus the add-interval exceed the desired duration of a subtitle, e.g., two
people are talking and the first one says three lines of text very quickly,
in say 3 seconds, followed immediatly by person 2 saying something.  If the
add-interval is .5seconds and the read-interval is 4 seconds, then the
display of subsequent subtitle(s) will (a) fall behind by 1.5 seconds, or
(b) be cut off.

[JB> ] Well, the add-interval and read-interval are intended as desired -
not mandatory timings. So the answer would be the UA would attempt to meet
the timing constraints but if unable to, would reduce the time intervals to
maintain the display of the content - preferably by attempting to maintain
the read-interval at the expense of the add-interval. This is because -
given the nature of what subtitling/captioning is for - it would be
preferable to have a faster display - compared to dropping content. For
video - probably the converse is true - if you get behind you drop frames.

[JB> ] Your example above is a little contradictory - since you are
specifying exact timings - I.e if lip sync is important the file would need
explicit timing for each utterance (or at least the start of each sentence).
These timings would relate to display events (region clears/line shifts etc)
and temporal flow would not be required / appropriate.

As I see it, the real use of a temporal flow with text is for things like
narration - and off screen speakers. For example a nature program often has
a narrative track that runs alongside the video of the 'pretty animals'. It
would be very nice if the text content of that narrative could be provided
as 'bulk' content, with a start narrative - end narrative marking in the
time domain - and the definition of a display region in the style domain.
Temporal-flow would then describe to the UA how to fit the text in over
time. As I see it, this would be useful in other domains as well - e.g.
public information systems.

If you mean by your eample - what would a subtitler do in the described
situation, it is likely that the subtitler would first establish the total
scene duration, then adjust the amount of content (by truncation or
paraphrasing) and or the timing to fit. In a sense that's what I want the UA
to do - or at least the timing aspect.

For those interested, the following reference is a thoroughly comprehensive
article about translation subtitling, much of which is also applicable to
same language subtitling (captioning). Specifically relevant to this
discussion is section 3. Constraints and technical aspects.

http://accurapid.com/journal/22subtitles.htm

regards
John Birch

The views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily

reflect the views and opinions of Screen Subtitling Systems Limited.

Erik,

Part of the 'problem' with using TT-AF for subtitling is that there are
existing distribution formats for subtitling / captioning. There are also
existing standards (or at least strong conventions) as to how
captions/subtitles are displayed. In order to be a successful conveyance for
subtitle/caption information, TT-AF must be able to encode the current
author intended display effects - prior to the transfer of the carried
content into a distribution format. I do not believe that the current style
standards proposed for TT have the richness required to do this. It **may**
be possible within the TT-AF to explicitly define all of the timing, and
define multiple style rules in such a manner as to achieve some of the
effects desired - but it will be no improvement over the existing
'proprietary' standards. In fact it is likely to be considerably harder - as
these standards intrinsically support the appropriate display concepts. Two
important considerations are:

1) Subtitles/captions are designed to fit within a fixed size region. It is
truer to say that the subtitle fits the block - rather than the block fits
the content. conceptual difference from most web styling concepts. In
subtitling/captioning - the region can only be of limited dimensions - font
sizes are restricted, etc.

2) The entire process of subtitling/ captioning is the control of temporal
overflow - basically by
a) reducing the amount of content (word substitution, excision of irrelvant
or superfluous text, etc)
and b) by spreading the content in the time direction - using an
understanding of the reading speed of the target audience and an
understanding of where it is appropriate to break the text.

There are a number of ways of typically displaying subtitle/captions - I'll
outline some of them descriptively below:
(Please note this is not an exhaustive list)

normal 'pop' modes:

Typically - subtitles are displayed 'in toto' for a reading interval, then a
short no subtitle visible period occurs, then the next subtitle is shown.
The subtitle region will sometimes vary in size to suit the amount of text
displayed - and typically the spacing of the subtitles is kept fairly
regular (it must be remembered this is a human edited process - so there is
a degree of variation - part of the art of good subtitling is maintaining
the reading 'flow').

So you might have a mixture of two and three line subtitles (typically more
two line than three), on screen for 4 to 5 seconds, spaced by 0.5 second
intervals.

line-by-line modes:
The subtitle region may be filled a line at a time - each line added,
possibly with existing content moving to make space, after successive time
intervals, until it reaches a fill limit (e.g. three lines). At this point,
after a reading interval for the last line the region may clear and the
process restarts.

Alternatively - once a region is full, the top line may be removed and all
the content shifts up - then the new line(s) insert underneath (assuming
western writing mode...)
This would continue until a significant pause in the subtitling - when the
subtitle clears.

snake modes
A variation on the line by line ideas - where the added content is in words
or fragments. Typically the snake fills the line, then the region acts as if
in line-by-line mode (i.e. the lines move up).

Fundamentally however, this issue comes down to a couple of questions:

a) Should / will TT-AF support temporal flow - i.e. a relaxed (non-explicit)
mechanism for placing text content into a region over time.
b) If a) is yes - then how is the concept best supported. My personal view
is that what should be developed are a set of attributes/elements that allow
the definition of temporal-overflow. Some candidates might include:

fill-direction - regardless of writing mode - in subtitling/captioning -
regions are filled from different directions depending on where they are on
the screen. E.g a top of screen subtitle will use the uppermost line first -
then the second etc... Conversely a bottom of screen subtitle will use the
lowest line first  - then the bottom two lines etc. This is to minimise the
intrusion of the subtitle into the central picture area. The UA would need a
'hint' in order to decide which direction is appropriate.

fill-mode - basically the size of content used when filling a region - e.g.
all | line | word | fragment.
region-full-clear - is the region cleared when it fills - or does content
shift to make space - and by what extent (none | all | line | word |
fragment)
add-interval - A desired (target) interval between additions (auto | value)
read-interval - The desired (target read-interval) - how long the last
content must 'hang' to allow reading.
tidemark - A subtle wrinkle - you may wish to nominally have just two line
subtitles - but allow three liners if the amount of content demands it. The
tidemark would define when to typically consider a clear down in pop mode -
but might be overwritten by the content / time demands.
Of course these concepts are not just limited to TT-AF for subtitling /
captioning - but have application in many other areas....