Re: Starting the Traffic Event CG

Hi, see below

> Hello David, all
>
> see below
>

> On 2014-06-02 11:15, David Torres wrote:
>
>> Hello Daniel,
>>
>> I will try to give a short description about the organisation of all
>> matters related to DATEX II. Easyway was a european research project
>> (I said "was" because it ended some months ago and now they are
>> reorganising their groups) promoted by the EC. Their main task was to
>> develop specs (including methodology, models, documents, xsd,
>> applications, examples, etc.) and provide these specs to the WG8,
>> dependent group of CEN (TC278, ITS standardisation) to be normalised
>> as Technical Specification.
>>
>> The current roadmap of normalisation is:
>>
>> - Part 1: Modelling methodology: normalised (2011).
>> - Part 2: Location referencing: normalised (2011)
>> - Part 3: Traffic information: normalised (2011).
>> - Part 4: Variable Message Settings: normalised (2013)
>> - Part 5: Measured and Elaborated Data: normalised (2014).
>> - Part 6: Parking information: ongoing (probably 2015).
>>
>>  Regarding your concerns about the IRP, of course it must be
>> considered. As far as I know, the only process you have to fulfill in
>> order to work with DATEX II is to download and use it. Anyway, I still
>> believe a formal request for permission is always a good practice.
>>

> There are (at least) two different things to consider. First there is the
> permission to point at and download the DATEX spec (for free, usually not
> the case for CEN/ISO, etc, but seems fine here), so to use it, e.g. as a
> reference or to implement something based on it, without having to pay some
> royalty to the IPR owners of the semantics behind the names in the spec (to
> be checked, but being funded through EC funding, it's got to be RF).
>
> Then there is the right to do derivative work, that is, to take pieces and
> bits, e.g. an enum here, a type construct there, and to define something
> new, which doesn't need the original work anymore. Usually it's not ok to
> do that for de-jure spec like from ISO, or an ESO like CEN. In a CG, we do
> pre-standardization, so it's usually OK to experiment, but if we expect a
> potential take up in a "real" W3C working group later on, we better check
> this one.

Ok, I have some contacts in CEN and working groups so definitely I will
contact them in order to avoid future issues.

>> With "good starting point" I meant it could be taken as reference. The
>>

> Is it even possible to link to a DATEX type or enum if we plan to
> reformalize their tree schema model in terms of graph/ontologies ? We're
> bound to cut&paste the strings no ? Could we just point at the definitions
> then ?

Technically, I'm not sure it's possible to make links directly. The main
model is exported to a XSD (last version:
http://www.datex2.eu/sites/www.datex2.eu/files/DATEXIISchema_2_2_0.xsd),
but this XSD has not URIs or other semantic information so maybe it'd need
some work to be more "usable".

>  scope... I think it has to be defined. As long as the group is named
>> "traffic ontology", I suppose the best option should be to define the
>> domain of traffic widely and not to constraint to a one only subfield.
>> My proposal would be to use a top-down approach, with these phases:
>>
>> - Define a general traffic domain, including a minimal set of
>> information about a traffic incident: ID, Date, General type,
>> location, urgency and level of service. This information is more or
>> less the same information that RDS-TMC (ISO 14189) supports (one of
>> the main objectives of RDS-TMC was precisely to deliver the necessary
>> information to users to be aware of a traffic situation in their
>> route).
>>

> Is this specification freely available ?

No, it's not. Unlike DATEX II the specification is not open, but, due to is
a very extended technology, its functional details are well known.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

> I'd really like to see an example of definition of a generic traffic event
> using on ontology language of some kind, e.g. OWL, and referencing this ISO
> work, to understand what dependencies/extensions are present.

I can prepare something in the following days...

>> - Describe a list of traffic subdomains (Accident, Roadworks,
>> Management, etc.) and a set of reusable domains (Vehicle
>> classifications, data quality description, etc.), which could be used
>> for the rest.
>>

> Sounds good. We can use a wiki to share our ideas. I just created a page
> for our CG: https://www.w3.org/community/traffic/wiki/Main_Page#Draft_Plan
> Feel free to add there, remove, or create new pages, etc.
> You should have the rights for editing.

Perfect, I've just added some tasks and possible deliverables.

>> - In several subgroups, work in each subdomain separately, relating it
>> to the main traffic domain.
>>

> I suppose we'll have to prioritize the subgroup deliverables, as it's
> likely we'll have to work in series rather than in parallel (unless lots of
> volunteers show up suddenly)

Indeed!

>> This top-down approach would have the advantage that you get a final
>> version very early. This allows to start to build frameworks,
>> application tools, etc. For example, it could be possible to set a
>> complete broadcasting system, from data sources to users.
>>

> Does broadcasting (e.g. using the FM band) bring requirements on
> performance ? size, etc ?

I see broadcasting applications using Internet and avoiding to use FM, DAB
or other more restricted technologies. Nowadays, a vast majority of people
are connected when they are driving (connected cars are coming but,
meanwhile, to have a smartphone with Internet access inside a car is not a
big deal).

In this case, always following some limitations (e.g. please don't send
real-time CCTV stream using this kind of channel!), the performance or size
is not a problem. I think currently it's possible to process and inference
RDF in a tiny client in an app installed in your Android / IPhone.

>> About deliverables, examining the websites of other well-know
>> ontologies, there are always: textual documentation, modelling graphs
>> (UML, graph build with Protégé, etc.), resources (including the
>> ontology, using OWL), use cases and examples). I'm comfortable with
>> UML in general, but tools like Protégé have been designed to develop
>> ontologies and they have some interesting tools integrated (graphical
>> builder, reasoner, OWL profile calculator, etc.).
>>

> I'll use whatever tool I can install on Windows.
> Best would be a webapp tools though (e.g. webprotegé)

We'll give it a try.

>> Finally, I have no problem being volunteer performing, for example,
>> some steering or technical tasks. Always with the limitation of the
>> time, a few hours per week is ok for me, as you pointed.
>>

> Thanks for that.
>
> I think we should start with a teleconf, or just a call with a couple of
> other potential lead/chairs for the group.
>
> Last time I attempted to organize a call, I failed finding a proper
> teleconferencing tool usable by all participants.
> (we have one at W3C, but not available to CG/the general public)
>
> But we can start by designing datatypes through the wiki too, it's more
> fun ;)

Yes, the time change is always a problem to arrange this kind of meeting,
maybe the best option is to start to work and wait to get feedback from the
other people of the group.

David