RE: W3C workshop on "Data Privacy Controls and Vocabularies"

DNT having only 1 bit is a feature not a limitation. Data minimisation is entirely the point.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Bert Bos [mailto:bert@w3.org]
Sent: 30 January 2018 13:31
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: W3C workshop on "Data Privacy Controls and Vocabularies"

On Monday, January 29, 2018 10:54:15 AM CET David Singer wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 2018, at 9:54 , Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, January 29, 2018 9:05:31 AM CET David Singer wrote:
> >> The announcement and the top of the page say Apr 17-18, which is a
> >> weekend.  Further down it says March
> >
> > Fixed. March is wrong. 17-18 April (Tuesday & Wednesday) is correct.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Did I miss discussion of this potential workshop in PING?

I don't know the customs in that group. Is it OK if I send an e-mail
there announcing the workshop?

> I ask
> because it’s quite soon, and clashes (for me) with another
> meeting…and I am not sure I understand the write-up either.  I’m
> guessing it comes more from the linked-data side of the world than
> privacy, from the write-up (but I don’t recall seeing discussion
> there either).

Here's my take: The workshop tries to see if the semantic Web can be
applied to privacy, based on the idea that, if you can make the various
rules and data (regulations, privacy policies, users' preferences,
consents given and denied, personal-data categories) all more or less
machine-readable, then the computer can help the user.

DNT fits in there, but it encodes only a tiny bit of information.

With machine-readable data and a suitable interface, the user can on the
one hand save time and automate certain decisions, and on the other hand
explore specific cases in detail with visualizations, comparisons,
history, detection of breach of contract, etc.

The description of the workshop may be hard to read, because it uses
many keywords that are meant to appeal to different groups of people.
E.g., ontology and linked data should make semweb people feel at home,
while terminal and signal are terms used in EU privacy rules, well-known
by certain lawyers and politicians. (DNT, e.g., would be a signal).

Bert