Re: Towards CR - Feedback / requirements from W3C

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 12:56 , Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 2017, at 9:36 AM, Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dear TPWG,
>>
>> thanks a lot for all then hard work you put into the CR proposal of the
>> TPE.
>>
>> As you know, a CR needs to satisfy certain criteria:
>> - List of features at risk (if any)
>> - Wide review
>> - Implementation reports (test suite as a plus)
>>
>> Despite the fact that most parts are unchanged, the feedback received is
>> that we should preferably repeat these steps and re-compile this package
>> for each subsequent CR release.
>>
>> As a consequence, my suggested next steps are:
>> 1 - We mark two features as at risk (changes to the CR draft):
>>  - Extensibility of the DNT header (unchanged from first CR)
>>  - Exception API (also to emphasize that we need more implementations)
>
> Why?  We had that discussion on one of the calls and it was felt
> that we did not have any pieces that would be removed prior to REC.
> That is, either the document succeeds as a whole or it should stop
> progression to REC.  The "at risk" category is only for stuff
> that can be removed at REC without going back to the WG.
>
> I could re-introduce the bits about DNT being extensible at risk,
> but that seems to be a waste of time.

I think it’s way easier to leave the at-risk marking in than to justify its removal, and it’s hard not to see a newly-redesigned API as at-risk. There may be one implementation, no test suite, and and so on.

I am prepared to argue at PR that the feature should nonetheless be retained, as I think removing it would take the chances of DNT adoption from small, down to minuscule.

>> 2 - Bert asks again for a wide review (PING, security, Art29,
>> accessibility / internationalization, ...) within 2 weeks.
>> Points to make:
>>  - Exception API has been redesigned
>>  - Otherwise, the spec largely unchanged
>>  - It does not have any user interface (machine2machine)
>>
>> 3 - We call for implementations and implementation reports (also within
>> 2 weeks):
>>  - Mike suggested he should be able to update his implementation
>>  - For the signals, we can re-use existing reports.
>>  - Other implementations of the API?
>>
>> 4- If we receive no blocking feedback in these 2 weeks, we can then
>> submit the full CR package around end of September.
>>
>> If you agree, then no action is required ;-)
>
> Well, someone has to send mail for (2) and update the wiki page for (3).
>
> ....Roy

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.