Re: Next 2 calls canceled (Oct 09 and Oct 16)

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 10:15 , Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
>> One obvious way to do this would be to allow the server to register a DNT-extension string when asking for the exception.
>> We add to the bag an optional parameter, DNT-extension-string; and when the exception applies,
>> and the UA sends a DNT:0 to the servers, it appends “;” and the DNT-extension-string registered in the exception.
>
> This lets a bad actor misuse the API for fingerprinting. Specify an arbitrary string then always get the same string back in other requests.

Um, Mike, it’s only going to servers that the user has agreed may track. I’m not terribly fussed about improve the fingerprintability of users who already agree to being tracked.

>> However, for site-wide exceptions, especially ones that are not limited to an enumerated list of domains,
>> this exception causes DNT:0 to be sent to all embedded sites. I have some anxiety that not all of them will understand.
>> On the other hand, why is the site registering for the exception asking for site-wide exceptions if it’s not confident of
>> the way that all embedded sites will handle ‘permission to track’ i.e. the consequent DNT:0?  On the third hand,
>> the UA is allowed to take an site-specific exception request that HAS got a list of domains that, when embedded on this site,
>> get DNT:0, and IGNORE that list and ‘broaden’ the request to a general site-wide request.
>
> The same DNT header does not have to be sent to every site-specific UGE target. Bouncer, for example, calculates the header for each request, using data from the requested origin as well as the current parent. The purpose string would be similarly calculated after examining that subresource's TSR.

The user-agent can’t possibly do a fetch of a TSR in order to work out what header to send in fetch requests…I must misunderstand what you say here. It’s both circular and an overhead.

>> On Oct 12, 2017, at 4:37 , Shane M Wiley <wileys@oath.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Custom vs. Standard List of Purposes:  I believe the list will have to be somewhat custom (defined by the domain) as different companies may refer to the purposes and their definition of the scope of those purposes in different ways to align with their privacy practices.  For example, a 1st party obtaining consent for a specific communications purpose will likely not map to a 3rd party purpose specific to profiling or mapping identities.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand this question "The complicated one is selecting an arbitrary domain for DNT:0 based on purpose, but maybe this is not required - Shane?"  Could you please explain what you mean by "selecting an arbitrary domain for DNT:0"?
>>
>> - Shane
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Mike O'Neill <michael.oneill@baycloud.com> wrote:
>> We should differentiate between conveying a set of agreed purposes to a server, and selecting what DNT is for a particular domain which declares a set of purposes.
>>

>> The former is relatively easy to fix. We just use the DNT header extension, and limit the entropy as Shane suggests. The DNT header would only allow the extension if the TSV was 0.
>>

>> So:
>>
>> DNT:0;p=2A
>>
>> “;” to separate the extension components (we may have others in future), p= introduces the array of purposes which is hex encoded bit pattern with a max length of (say) 10 and a purpose is either selected (1) or not (0). The above bit pattern 2A means 00101010 i.e. purposes 3,5 and 7.
>>
>> 10 bits can at most select 1024 individuals, so limited use for fingerprinting.
>>

>> A user agent would never send a DNT:1 header with any extensions. i.e. just DNT:1, and the purposes array would be constrained to be as above.
>>

>> We would have to come up with an agreed set of purposes, but that should not be too difficult. Maybe that could be left to the EDPB?
>>

>> The complicated one is selecting an arbitrary domain for DNT:0 based on purpose, but maybe this is not required - Shane?
>>

>> Mike

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.