Re: [w3c/dnt] Add more meta data in the Tracking Status Resource (#22)

Hi David,

thanks a lot for your input.

I agree that the API would not be needed in the current spec since it
only reports behavior that should not exist (i.e. the returned set
should always be empty).

I also agree that a user would not pick and choose individual
cookies/domains to block.

However, I would not be surprised if certain tools will automate this on
behalf of the users: E.g. McAfee has a safe browsing pluging that blocks
certain domains that are deemed untrustworthy (distributors of malware;
malicious ads, ...). Similarly, users may choose to install privacy
tools that help mitigating certain perceived privacy risks (like Privacy
Badger). Similarly, users may allow/disallow trackers based on
categories (see email from Rob).

I would expect that this behavior will not be discontinued once TPE is
moving to REC.

I see two viable ways forward:
- We formally soften the all-or-nothing approach (in reality I
  expect that not all TPs get DNT;0 anyway)?
XOR
- We abandon the definition of this new API (since
  it always returns the empty set in our current model).

Any comments/feedback are welcome!

Regards,
matthias