From: Mike O'Neill
Sent: Saturday, May 6 2017, 8:27 am
To: singer@apple.com; Rob van Eijk
Cc: 'Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation)'; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: RE: fyi: Fingerprinting risk

Script can always be loaded into a browsing context from another origin, as can an image or other resource (not html though). Once it is loaded it can execute any API, and so it can call the Exception API.

But the document origin and the script origin will be the origin of the browsing context it is running in, not the origin it was loaded from.  It does not matter at all to the operation of the script which domain the it was loaded from.

This obvious example is Google Analytics. A top-level context example.com includes a script tag with a src attribute "//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js <http://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js> ". The script analytics.js is executed in the example.com origin.

The script dynamically creates an image whose src attribute also points to google-analytics.com (with a complicated path component that incorporates the UID from a cookie stored in example.com), which results in an embedded tracking request to be set to the www.google-analytics.com <http://www.google-analytics.com>  domain.

The controller responsible for the cookie and the third-party tracking is the one for example.com. They might be unaware of what is going on, but their action of loading the script resource initiated it.