FW: Single Trust and Same-Origin Policy v2

I posted this on the WebAppSec list : public-webappsec@w3.org <mailto:public-webappsec@w3.org>  I meant to copy it here also  but used my other email address, so here it is again.

Hi John,

The TPWG (Do Not Track group) discussed something which may be useful for this. We have defined a JSON resource at a well-known location (the Tracking Status Resource at ./well-known/dnt) which contains a couple of relevant properties, the “controller” array and the “same-party” array. See https://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/#status-resource

The “same-party” property is an array of subresource domain names, each one owned by the same company that manages the parent site. The “controller” property is an array of urls identifying the companies that may be jointly responsible for the site, or more exactly responsible for any personal data collected by the site. This corresponds to the European legal concept of the “Data Controller”, and the property is an array because there can be “Joint” Data Controllers.

The “same-party” array allow a site to declare the subresource “third-party” domains that may be there but are also managed by it, so if a user agent implements tracking protection procedures, they could be relaxed for these subresources if the user has consented to being tracked by the parent site. An obvious example is yimg.com managed by Yahoo when the parent site may be yahoo.com, oy youtube.com if the parent is google.com.

We have also discussed in the past cross-referencing procedures where sites would mutually refer to each other using the same-party array, so for example when user consent is given for a domain (using the DNT Consent API)  it can be automatically assigned to same-parties manged by the same controller.

There may be others in the TPWG interested in the topic so I have copied to the list.

Mike