      From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org>
 To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
 Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 5:14 AM
 Subject: Propagating site-wide consent without Javascript

Hi Folks,

during our last call, David suggested that we should put the Javascript
API at risk. By doing so, we can continue towards recommendations even
if the API is not implemented by the participants.

I would like to now kick-off a "what if" discussion.

The javascript API serves IMHO three purposes:
1 - To store site/web-wide exceptions
2 - To propagate consent from the site to its sub-elements (e.g. the
  site
  obtained site-wide consent and all its sub-elements (such as
  analytics) will then receive a DNT;0 to signal that they are
  permitted to track.
3 - To provide transparency to the user (who can check what
  consent/exceptions are stored in his browser)

If the Javascript API were removed, then consent can be stored using
cookies or other means (point 1), transparency would need to be provided
(at a limited level) by the sites (point 2).

I would now kick off a discussion how consent could be forwarded from a
site to its subsidiaries. Options I see

Option 1: Javascript API + DNT;0 header (current solution; at risk)

Option 2: Some other way to trigger sending DNT;0 (e.g. we could define
a "site-wide exceptioN" response header that triggers sending DNT;0 to
other elements

Option 3: Encoding in URLs? Some Javascript tricks? Other?

What do you think? Opinions?

Regards,
matthias