RE: Supporting TPE on sites/subdomains where a user does not have control of the server (ISSUE 15, ISSUE 10)

Hi Roy,

On the hosting issue, it is not trivial on some hosting sites and in any
case it needs to be dynamic. If a site has consent for tracking (presumably
the state is encoded in a cookie) it must respond to that user with Tk: C.
There would have to be an API not just a static config setting, and maybe
this is supported on some hosting sites, but by no means all.

I know for a fact that this is difficult for many first-party sites, and not
just Wordpress ones. Major multi-brand companies find this logistically
difficult now, as I have explained many times. As DNT becomes more supported
this will be less so, but for now we have a transition issue.

It is also wrong to assume users are only concerned with the “tracking
policies of embedded third-party resources linked to by [first-party]”
sites.

Most users do not understand the vagaries of HTTP or HTML embedded
resources, they simply do not want be tracked across the web. We know that
most tracking is enabled by embedded sub-resources but not all. Some
first-party sites share cross-domain identifiers e.g. derived from browser
fingerprinting, mediacapture device ids, first-party cookies with
universally managed UIDs, and a host of other ways.

In any case it is the responsibility of first-party sites in Europe to act
if consent has not been established. It is the first-party sites that insert
the iframes, images and externally supplied javascript. If they cannot rely
on third-parties to respect DNT (which is the case at present) then they
must enforce it for their users with tag management or other procedures, and
if the API is not there they have to use the response header to indicate
OOBC.

I agree the response header is the preferred mechanism, but if it not
available to many sites it would be wrong of us to refuse them the
capability to comply with DNT.

Mike