From: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation)
Sent: Saturday, April 29 2017, 4:16 pm
To: wileys@yahoo-inc.com; Mike O'Neill
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Monday Call

Hi Shane,

thanks a lot for the feedback.

I realized that before we dive into the details on how to implement your

objectives, I would like to take a step back and understand the
objectives of the proposed changes.

Since the proposed change is non-trivial, this IMHO is a better starting

point than talking implementation first.

To me it seems as if you have these requirements:
1. - Ensure that site-wide (without listing sub-resources) continue to
work and that all sub-resources continue to receive DNT;0 in a future
scenario where some/many publishers publish a machine-readable list of
third parties.
2. - Allow publishers to ensure that only listed third parties are
loaded (to ensure - for specific consent - that only third parties are
loaded where you are sure that they do not harm your compliance).
3. - Help sites debug themselves (i.e. be able to find out what subset
of their third parties received DNT;1 despite a site-wide exception

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Today, a site-wide exception expresses a desire by a publisher that
sub-domains should receive DNT;0. However, the UA (and in thextension
the users) have a choice (by choosing their UA/Plugin Mix) to what
extent they honor that desire.

So basically the proposal you are making is:
- The users (via their browser) no longer have a choice to what
  extent to honor a site-wide exception.
  This should render UAs that "pick and choose" (e.g.
  blacklisting/whitelisting/heuristics) what part of the
  site-wide to honor non-compliant.
- In exchange, we now allow a publisher to list its third parties.

IMHo this discussion is a great step forward and let us see whether we
can avoid the Call for Objections (or at least will have a wider range
of options to choose from).

Regards,
matthias