      From: Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com>
 To: Matthias Schunter (Intel Corporation) <mts-std@schunter.org>
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
 Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 11:10 AM
 Subject: Re: Issues for Monday Call

Hi Matthias,

>>> 1. to tackle the question "what extra field and qualifiers do we
>>> need",
>>> we now focus on the final open new use case which is online ad
>>> auctions.
>>> Rob will report his findings and we see whether more info is
>>> essentially

The use case I am addressing is real-time bidding/programmatic
advertising (hereinafter: RTB). RTB relies on a network of highly
specialized parties. On the one hand we have parties collecting
information through resources from the browser, on the other hand there
are parties delivering resources to the browser. A resource could be
anything ranging from an iFrame with a JavaScript for gathering usage
and performance data to a web beacons for delivering UID cookies. The
number of parties may vary per ad-network/ad-exchange. Some ad network
are known for a higher number of parties interacting with the browser
than others. Obviously, every network has its own strategic partners. In
sum, RTB may be defined as a network of networks aimed at trading and
delivering targeted ads. Typical specialized RTB-tasks are referrals,
web analytics,  audience segmentation, personalization, or targeted
advertising (See also the intro of the TPE).

If follows from the GDPR and the ePrivacy Regulation proposal that the
information requirement of the GDPR applies to all RTB-parties. The
purpose of the information requirement is to ensure fair and transparent
processing. In fact, informed consent is not limited to the EU. Any
jurisdiction where informed consent is the legal norm, the information
requirement plays an important role. Indeed, as Roy pointed out, that
would be a framework requirement, not a TPE requirement.

Therefore, in order to narrow the scope of the use case, it sees to (1)
the direct interaction with the browser by RTB parties and (2)
RTB-parties that cannot rely on OOBC or the consent by the publisher. My
assumption is that the more real-time the informed consent requirement
becomes, the more information needs to be readily available and
presented to the user such that he/she can grant an exception.

The tracking status object contains properties that describe the
tracking status applicable to the designated resource. Let's map the
information required under the EU framework to the tracking status
object:

  (a) the modalities of the collection => this is covered by the TRACKING
property
  (b) its purpose => => NOT COVERED by a tracking status property
  (c) the person responsible for it  => partly covered by the CONTROLLER
property. See suggestions by Mike [1]
  (d) any measure the end-user of the terminal equipment can take to stop
or minimize the collection => covered primarily by the TRACKING property
itself, but also by the CONFIG, CONTROLLER, and POLICY properties.
  (e) other information required under the GDPR where personal data are
collected => mostly covered by POLICY property. WEBRESOURCES property is
missing to inform the user about the recipients or categories of
recipients of the personal data, if any.

In sum, from the analysis it follows that expressing the purpose needs
more work. We should discuss (b) and (e). Possibly, a new qualifier
property in the tracking status could do the job. In order to keep the
TRACKING property clean, I prefer not to use DNT extensions. See alse
the suggestions by Mike [1].

Regards,
Rob

[1] https://w3c.github.io/dnt/drafts/Transparency.html