RE: Issues for Monday Call

Shane,

One big advantage of machine-readable data is that it can be presented to the user by parties who are better able to do that. An embedded sub-resource may not be in control of any “real estate” on a page, and can only rely on the containing site, a third-party script library on that site, or the user agent to present it to the user. If the information is in a standardised machine readable form then companies can compete to present it in ways that the user can understand.

Otherwise information would have to be buried in a legalistic privacy policy which we know nobody bothers to read anyway.

If the issue is that the third-party needs to supply its own presentation then that could be conveyed through properties in the TSR also, we could discuss that.

On the legal point, and as you say IANAL, the proposed ePrivacy Regulation covers more than just Processors and Controllers, e.g. see Recital 8 in the ePR. Companies that provide software, e.g. O/S or browsers, are also drawn in (in A.10 as I already said).

“This Regulation should apply to providers of electronic communications services, to providers of publicly available directories, and to software providers permitting electronic communications, including the retrieval and presentation of information on the internet. This Regulation should also apply to natural and legal persons who use electronic communications services to send direct marketing commercial communications or collect information related to or stored in end-users’ terminal equipment.”

Mike