From: Nick Doty [mailto:npdoty@ischool.berkeley.edu]
Sent: 06 March 2016 21:48
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>
Subject: Compliance CR pre-publication test

Hi TPWG,

In prepping the Compliance document for a transition call with the Director
and publication as a Candidate Recommendation, I've prepared a
pre-publication test of the CR format to see what it would look like.

https://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance-cr-pr
ep.html

To repeat, this is not an official CR, this is a test. You might notice
first of all that the formatting is different from other documents we've
published; that's because there is a new stylesheet being used for all
Recommendation-track documents that this automatically uses. I think it
looks cleaner, and even has a nice Table of Contents sidebar when the window
is wide enough for it.

You can check the status of the document section; although I think the
paragraphs would be in a slightly different order to satisfy pubrules; that
should be an accurate explanation of the status of the work. I've created a
wiki page which we could use as the implementation report, as we've been
doing with the TPE.

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Privacy/TPWG/TCS_Implementation_Report

Following the model of the TPE, I expect that the CR would end no earlier
than 3 months away, and that we wouldn't anticipate having sufficient
implementation experience until 3 months after that. The actual length of
the Candidate Recommendation phase will of course depend on the actual work
of adopting and implementing Compliance and documentation in an
implementation report.

Implementers of the Compliance specification (as opposed to the companion
TPE specification) are servers only, not user agents. Implementation will
consist in adopting and claiming adherence to the Compliance specification.
Testing and documentation will require verification of compliance
requirements via, for example, published statements, rather than executed
software test cases. As a similar example, see the Website Tests in the
Geolocation Implementation Report:
https://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-orientation-event-20110628/Implementation-Repo
rt.html

We didn't specify any features as at risk, so I expect the typical exit
criteria would apply:
* Multiple (at least two), interoperable implementations of each feature

Some of the implementation data on the TPE wiki page that describes
server-side implementations might be a start already, although I'm not sure
if any/many of those server-side implementations are claiming adherence to
any particular version of Tracking Compliance and Scope.

Wendy, as Team Contact, will be handling the CR transition scheduling and
meeting with the Director.

Hope this helps,
Nick