Re: tracking-ISSUE-254: public access devices in intermediaries text [TPE Last Call]

On Jul 12, 2014, at 6:49 PM, Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> tracking-ISSUE-254: public access devices in intermediaries text [TPE Last Call]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/254
>
> Raised by: Xuemei Yan
> On product: TPE Last Call
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking-comments/2014Jun/0013.html
>
> Comments [on HTTP intermediary]: For example, the Internet Service Provider or the Intermediary may be a Gateway, a Router or a Portable Wifi Device. Comments:Refer to public access, It should be preferable to apply the tracking preference expression corresponding to the user in public access. For examlple, when a user use his personal identification information to login in a public computer, such as a computer in public Library, the each Library computer has a same tracking preference expression for all visitors, And the user can get another tracking preference expression corresponding to the user from cloud the user choice and uploaded before, Under such situation, it SHOULD be firstly apply the tracking preference expression corresponding to the user. Reason: When there is a tracking preference expression conflict between public access and the user, the public access have no priority.
>
> Commenter suggests adding an explicit note that a user-specific preference should override the device preference, if, for example, the user logs in to a public access device.

WONTFIX.  I don't see any way to clarify this further without muddying the
general point.  The requirements are clearly stated such that a preference
determined by a user (in a user's login config, for example) is allowed,
whereas a configuration not under control of the user is not allowed.

There is no gray area wherein a general preference of a device would be
allowed but then be overridden by a user preference.  TPE disallows
the former, so the latter is always true as far as TPE is concerned.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                     <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Senior Principal Scientist, Adobe   <http://www.adobe.com/>