Re: ISSUE-262: guidance regarding server responses and timing

On Oct 29, 2014, at 4:38 PM, Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com> wrote:

> Let me give another possible way to go.
>
> From a privacy engineering point of view, we should aim for making DNT fit for purpose. We will see (more) examples of automated real time auctions, intended to analyze or predict the personality or certain personal aspects relating to a natural person, including the analysis and prediction of the person’s health, economic situation, information on political or philosophical beliefs , performance at work, leisure, personal preferences or interests, details and patterns on behavior, detailed location or movements.
>
> Therefore, the current rtb model needs to take both easy opt-out and (explicit) opt-in protocol requirements into account. This holds for the ad exchange, but also for ssp's and dsp's. The key reason is that DNT will effect the price. Dsp's crafting the bids should have knowledge of the DNT value associated with the deal. DNT info should come with the bid request. Such requirments could be expressed normatively in the TCS.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. It seems relatively straightforward that the DNT:1 request should be passed along, though I am not 100% sure that TPE requires this today. It talks about prohibiting intermediary alteration, but I’m not that language was written with ad exchanges in mind.  Shane’s proposal explicitly requires the DNT setting to be conveyed to bidders.  If nothing else, that language could (perhaps?) be adopted by universal consensus.

The harder question is receiving feedback about how the ~20-odd bidders (plus the exchange, plus any other intermediaries) honor DNT:1 requests. At one point Roy suggested that the exchange would have to communicate back the lowest level of compliance among the various parties who view the bid (tied to a unique ID that could be traced to other transactions). Nick’s proposal requires (I think) a temporary ? response from the exchange and then a response from the bid winner when the ad is delivered (I think this is oversimplifying). I’m not sure how different Shane’s proposal is from Nick’s — Shane’s doesn’t include the intermediate dynamic response, and allows servers to use asynchronous information about potential consent — but still requires the winner to convey what they’re doing in the TSV.

> If this can not be done in a technical way, another option is to hold the exchange accountable and responsible for it's bidders. Any bidding party not honoring DNT should not get access to bid requests associated with UID's from users with DNT:1. Such requirments could be expressed normatively in the TCS.

This is another possibility, arguably a different way of saying what Roy proposed on the call (requiring a uniform and accountable response on behalf of the ecosystem). I suspect that Shane would say this would decrease the chances of voluntary adoption of the standard by the ad ecosystem.