Re: ISSUE-235 (Auditability requirement for security)

From: Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:01:19 -0400
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Walter van Holst <walter.van.holst@xs4all.nl>
For those who donít feel like visiting the wiki, Walter has proposed to retain the auditability requirement, and to clarify with the following language:

In this context auditable is typically understood that there are sufficient records available of access and use of data retained that a third-party auditor would have a reasonable level of confidence that the data retained is exclusively used for the permitted uses or that  breaches of this can be detected ex-post. A good yardstick of the level of confidence would be a similar level of confidence required for the organisation's financial records.

</walter>

I donít have any great insight into the manner in which companies typically document their access and use of tracking databases, but Iíd welcome opinions on whether this would represent a marginal burden to companies.