Re: Timeline for TPE Last Call and Update of Acknowledgements

Hi Ninja, and WG members,

The WG must give more than 30 days for public comments. Giving only 30
days would be sending a message that you don't really want feedback.

For companies, especially smaller companies, who will be affected by
this to give comments, they will have to:

  * first learn of the LC document and the comment period;
  * then read and understand a long and complex document, without the
    benefit of having participated in our discussion for the past two years;
  * then, technical, policy, and legal people will have to work together
    to understand their challenges for implementation or to determine
    areas of the spec that they do not understand;
  * in most cases they will then have to present this understanding to
    executives and get a consensus position for the company; and
  * finally, they then need to prepare this feedback into public comments

For very many companies, this will take in excess of only 4 weeks. It
can often take a week or two just to find a meeting time that works for
all required attendees. We cannot expect them to drop their other work
to turn around comments on this very complex issue in such a short time.
If we are serious about taking feedback, and this is not merely a pro
forma exercise, I ask that we please extend the comment period to 90
days. That is the minimum reasonable amount of time for most smaller
companies to be able to provide feedback.

Thank you,

David