Re: TPE Editorial Proposal to Remove Another Hard Dependency on the Compliance Specification

Hi Roy!

thanks for the clairification.

The point below is an important point: While we cannot prevent a site to
use the term "tracking" in a compliance regime and define tracking in a
different way ("In this document, tracking has not the meaning define in
the TPE but instead is defined as [...]",
I would only recommend this if the goal is to mislead or confuse the
average reader that is likely to have a hard time untangling the
terminology.

Consider a privacy policy that first re-defines the terms collection,
retention, data subject, ... in non-intuitive ways ("In this document,
retention is defined as physical storage of data printed on paper - and
no, we never retain your data" ;-).

The fair approach IMHO would be  to use the defined meaning and just
describe the practices of a given site.

Regards,
matthias