Re: ISSUE-153 Consensus

Hi Ninja,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I don't want to speak for Brooks, but I do believe there is a difference
between objecting to "no change" to existing text and objecting to the
existing text.  Unfortunately, the way Option A is currently worded, an
objection against Option A would be an objection against the existing text
and not an objection against not changing the existing text.

2. Objections to Option A: editors' draft text

*Option A: editors' draft text*

If I object to Option A, as it is worded, I would be objecting against the
editors' draft text.  Based on today's email conversation, it would be
clearer if Option A was succinctly stated as "no change to the editors'
draft text" if indeed that proposal is valid.

In other words, if I favored Option B, which only ads text to the editor's
draft text("*Add to current language*"), I would be left without an
objection, because I cannot object to the editors' draft text as that text
is also included in Option B.

Best regards,

Jack

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM, Ninja Marnau <ninja@w3.org> wrote:

>  Brooks,
>
> not sure if I understand you correctly. But I think you suggest that the
> correct way to put this in the wiki would have been to list the proposal as
> "no change".
> In my opinion listing the actual TPE text that is the competing proposal
> is more readable, if there is only a limited number of proposals.
>
> We usually do not list the supporters of a proposal but just make sure in
> the weekly call that it has considerabe support within the group.
>
> Ninja
>

> Am 28.01.14 23:35, schrieb Dobbs, Brooks:
>
>  Justin,
>
>  Wouldn't part of the W3C's requirement that there be at least two
> competing proposals be that there is record of who authored each?  As we
> can assume that there would always be existing text, doesn't the decision
> policy presume that the competition would be against two proposals with
> authors independent of,  or accepting credit for, the existing text if that
> is to be an option?
>
>  -Brooks
>

>  --
>
> *Brooks Dobbs, CIPP *| Chief Privacy Officer | *KBM Group* | Part of the
> Wunderman Network
> (Tel) 678 580 2683 | (Mob) 678 492 1662 | *kbmg.com <http://kbmg.com>*
>

> *brooks.dobbs@kbmg.com <http://brooks.dobbs@kbmg.com> *
> This email - including attachments - may contain confidential information.
> If you are not the intended recipient,
>  do not copy, distribute or act on it. Instead, notify the sender
> immediately and delete the message.
>
>   From: "Jack L. Hobaugh Jr" <jack@networkadvertising.org>
> Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:04 PM
> To: Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org>
> Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <
> public-tracking@w3.org>, Sid Stamm <sid@mozilla.com>, Walter van Holst <
> walter.van.holst@xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: ISSUE-153 Consensus
>
>   Hi Justin,
>
>  Thank you for the clarification.
>
>  If there is a valid second proposal, then I respectfully request that it
> be presented as such and adequately articulated along with the
> authors/proponents identified.
>
>  Best regards,
>
>  Jack
>

> *Jack L. Hobaugh Jr *Network Advertising Initiative | Counsel & Senior
> Director of Technology
> 1634 Eye St. NW, Suite 750 Washington, DC 20006
> P: 202-347-5341 | jack@networkadvertising.org
>

>  On Jan 28, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Justin Brookman <jbrookman@cdt.org> wrote:
>
>  Hi Jack,
>
>  The alternative proposal was the existing text.  It was understanding
> from the January 15th call [1] that at least Sid Stamm and Walter van Holst
> preferred the existing text, and did not want to make the quasi-legal
> assertion that user agents bear joint responsibility for the behavior of
> add-ons.  Moreover, there did not appear to be overwhelming support for the
> [...]

1620 Eye St. NW, Suite 210 Washington, DC 20006
P: 202-347-5341 | jack@networkadvertising.org