Re: Signals for internal / external usage of site elements (the signals formerly called "1" and "3")

Hi Brooks,

thanks for the input.

Your scenarios looks correct:
- In the first case, Google may accidentally collect tracking data (by
being embedded into the Matthias site).
   And - as you observed in the second case - there is nothing (at least
not straightforward) that Google can do to prevent this
   since the request looks like a normal request. As a consequence, they
may run their "normal" analytics on this data
   and may - as a consequence - collect tracking data about the Matthias
site (I agree - without sharing this data).

   By marking their elements with "1" it is clear that it was not their
fault.
- The second case illustrates the benefit from a browser perspective:
   - All elements come from Matthias and are, e.g., marked "1+N" for not
tracking
   - There is one element coming from Google marked "1" coming from
another site (Google)
   - This may raise suspicion by a user agent (why does this site uses
ab "1" element from another site?)

Note: The goal of my mail was to discuss whether we want to retain this
feature or drop it. It is certainly an edge case and I would like to
assess the benefits of keeping it versus gaining simplicity by dropping
it (and maybe re-introducing it later within the scope of the compliance
spec).

Regards,
matthias