why IAB/NAI/ staying via MediaPost

From: Jeffrey Chester <jeff@democraticmedia.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:55:27 -0400
Cc: "Jack L. Hobaugh Jr" <jack@networkadvertising.org>, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>, Rachel Thomas <RThomas@the-dma.org>, Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>, Peter Swire <peter@peterswire.net>, Louis Mastria <lou@aboutads.info>, "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Ninja Marnau <nmarnau@datenschutzzentrum.de>
IAB general counsel Mike Zaneis said that his organization will remain, if only to ensure that advertisers still have a voice in the discussions. “If there were only two stakeholders sitting at the table, those two stakeholders would write the standard,” he told Online Media Daily. “We can't allow that to happen.”

NAI executive director Marc Groman expressed a similar sentiment. “Should the NAI withdraw today, the Working Group will be comprised of consumer advocates, U.S and European regulators, and a dozen large, global corporations that sit in a different place in the online advertising ecosystem,” he said in an emailed statement. “Given this reality, NAI will continue to participate in W3C as well as coordinate closely with DAA, IAB, and our other sister associations on do not track and self-regulatory initiatives.”

Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/209338/web-standards-group-plans-to-continue-do-not-track.html?edition=64698#ixzz2fFxDvzeW