action-407 proposed language - Section 5, User Preferences

From: Chris Mejia <chris.mejia@iab.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:51:28 +0000
CC: Alan Chapell - Chapell Associates <achapell@chapellassociates.com>, "Mike Zaneis" <mike@iab.net>, "Nicholas \"Nick\" Doty - W3C" <npdoty@w3.org>, "Mike Zaneis" <mike@iab.net>, Lou Mastria - DAA <lou@aboutads.info>, "Marc Groman - NAI" <mgroman@networkadvertising.org>
Alan Chapell and I worked on this, per our "homework" assignment on the working group call 2-weeks ago.  Here's our proposal below.  Please note that I'm not crazy about 5.1.4, the "G flag" idea, but Alan had support for this idea from folks he's worked with, so we are leaving it in for further discussion.

C. Mejia

---

5. User Preferences
Any agent or program that sets or alters a userís tracking preference expression MUST obtain express and informed consent from the individual user before setting or altering the setting of controls that affect the userís tracking preference expression. The controls MUST communicate the individual user's preference in accordance with the [TRACKING-DNT<http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html#bib-TRACKING-DNT>] recommendation.

5.1 Tracking Preference Choices. User agents or programs that set or alter tracking preference expression choices for users (the ďagentĒ or ďagentsĒ) MUST follow the following user interface guidelines:
1.     The agent must be the party responsible for determining the user experience by which a tracking preference is controlled;
2.      The agent MUST ensure that tracking preference choices are communicated to users clearly and accurately and are shown at the time and place the tracking preference choice is made available to a user or altered;
3.      The agent SHOULD ensure that the tracking preference choices accurately describe the parties to whom DNT applies and SHOULD make available explanatory text to provide more detailed information about DNTís operational effects on the user.
4.     Agents that donít meet the criteria listed in 5.1.3 MUST include a flag "G" that signals that a Agent is unable to comply with these guidelines.

5.2 Tracking Preference Exception. Agents or programs offering tracking preference expression choices to users, or that alter the tracking preference expression of a user(s), MUST comply with these user interface guidelines:
1.     web sites are responsible for determining the user experience by which a tracking exception is controlled;
2.      sites offering tracking exceptions MUST ensure that tracking exception choices are communicated to users clearly and accurately and shown at the time and place the tracking preference exception is made available to a user;
3.      sites SHOULD ensure that the tracking preference choices accurately describe the parties to whom DNT applies and SHOULD make available explanatory text to provide more detailed information about DNT functionality.