Re: ACTION-203 : Text for transitive model

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the input. Here are my 2cents...

IMHO, the user agent is the one and only reference for UGE. The whole
point is that the user is empowered to manage his exceptions by means of
his user agent.

If you obtain a DNT;0 for a transaction (either directly or transferred)
this will reflect the user preference at this point in time. If a
third-party service (without Javascript real-estate) wants to understand
what UGE are stored, it needs to work with a party that has Javascript
real-estate to use the API to learn more.

Caching/storing/... of UGE beyond a transaction is likely to lead to
inconsistencies. The user may change his mind (deleting some or all UGE)
and then the DNT;0 will no longer hold in the next interaction.

If you want your backend to be the reference (the one and only) then I
believe that ouf of band exceptions are the only choice.

Feedback/Comments? Did I miss anything?

Regards,

Matthias

haven't seen it.

 > This is not the model we have in section 6

 > > If a company goes out of its way to obtain a UGE and then cannot

 > > leverage this in Exchange situations, it will create disincentives

 > > to implement DNT more generally.

 > Wait, you haven't obtained an UGE here. You simply can't know as

 > you're part of the auction and not a part of the interaction. If you

 > have your javascript already on the first party content site, you can

 > check and leverage your UGE. In this case you have full permission,

 > not a derived transitory permission. We are only talking about the

 > latter here. And it doesn't affect the former.

 > > We can mark this up

 > > as an open issue on the two proposals for the group to decide upon.

 > I disagree that we disagree. I rather think we got lost in

 > translation... But if you insist and the outcome is viable you can

 > disagree with me and have me voted down... It is a detail, a pennon
on a truck with "transitory permissions"