RE: explicit-explicit exception pairs

Rob,

I would ask them.  They could be using digital fingerprints as a proxy (worse consumer privacy outcome in my personal opinion) or they could be absorbing the revenue hit due to the opt-out rate not being significant enough to material affect day to day business operations.  Does the A29WP support digital fingerprints over cookies?  If you take Mozilla's current DNT projections at 6% into account, the latter approach will no longer be survivable for most, if not all, ad networks.

- Shane

From: Rob van Eijk [mailto:rob@blaeu.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:39 PM
To: Shane Wiley
Cc: Mike Zaneis; Kimon Zorbas; Jonathan Mayer; ifette@google.com; Rigo Wenning; public-tracking@w3.org; Nicholas Doty; Matthias Schunter
Subject: Re: explicit-explicit exception pairs

That triggers a question: please be so kind to explain to me why the OBA opt-out system does not break this thought experiment. What I see in my experiments is that more and more parties removing the cookies with unique identifiers while setting an opt-out cookie instead with a generic value like 'OPT-OUT'.

I saw confirmation of my experiments in the Wall Street Journal data transparency weekend crawling Alexa 500 websites.

Rob