Re: explicit-explicit exception pairs

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Vincent Toubiana <v.toubiana@free.fr> wrote:

>  Ian,****
>
> To answer a) and b), I believe that explicit/explicit UI should not be an
> issue at this stage. I can imagine at least two UI that could be used to
> manage these exceptions:****
>
> -          A list based UI where all the first parties are listed, when a
> user click on a first element he sees the exceptions granted on this site.
> He can check/uncheck a box to grant or deny an exception.****
>
> -          A collusion based UI where exceptions are represented by edges
> between parties. Clicking on an edge grant/remove an exception.

As I have said earlier, those UIs don't necessarily scale, and are
sufficiently complex that we would not implement them. I apologize, but I
do feel like I am starting to repeat myself.

> ****
>
> I believe both interfaces could be used to add and manage exceptions.****
>
> ****Regarding c), maybe we could add another optional parameter to a
> “requestSiteSpecificTrackingException” which would be a Boolean called
> “requiredException”. If this value were true, then the user would have to
> grant the exception to the third party to visit the website.

The call is asynchronous, I don't think we would want to change that. What
you propose seems like it would pause pageload until the user acts on the
exception, I don't think you would find much support for making the API
synchronous.

It also doesn't solve the problem as best I can tell of knowing _at the
time you receive the original request_ whether you have all the exceptions
you need. By moving this to javascript, you're adding a necessary
round-trip back to the server to say "Yup, we have our exceptions, send the
content." Please see my earlier emails, it's not just the issue of UI
complexity, it's also a site knowing at the time it receives a request
whether or not it's covered. This is trivial with * and nontrivial
otherwise.