Re: Action-157: Update logged-in consent proposal

Thanks Shane (and Justin too?) for drafting this proposal text, and apologies for my delay in replying.

We may have some confusion on the normative/non-normative distinction here as there are a few uses of "should" in the non-normative section that could be interpreted as normative requirements.

Also, Shane and Justin, does this sentence
> "Companies ... should not seek to obtain explicit, informed consent from users in non-obvious ways such as placing these details in their Terms of Service or deeply placed within their Privacy Center"
imply that a service *can* obtain explicit, informed consent to override a user's DNT preference via a Terms of Service document and be in compliance with this standard?

If not, then we could make this clearer by updating the normative text:
> Sites MAY override a user's DNT preference if they have received explicit, informed consent to do so. Sites MUST NOT obtain explicit, informed consent via Terms of Service or other non-obvious means.

Or if the group believes there are some cases where non-obvious means would be acceptable, that would be a SHOULD NOT rather than MUST NOT. Or this could be phrased definitionally instead: "Consent via a Terms of Service or other non-obvious means is not explicit and informed."

Also, per the question on "ideally", is that a SHOULD requirement? e.g. "Sites SHOULD provide options to alter this consent via the tracking status resource."

Thanks,
Nick