Re: Allowed uses of protocol data in first N weeks (ACTION-190)

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Ian Fette wrote:
> >Protocol data, meaning data that is transmitted by a user agent, such as a
> >web browser, in the process of requesting content from a provider,
> >explicitly including items such as IP addresses, cookies, and request
> URIs,
> >MAY be stored for a period of 6 weeks in a form that might not otherwise
> >satisfy the requirements of this specification. For instance, the data may
> >not yet be reduced to the subset of information allowed to be retained for
> >permitted uses (such as fraud detection), and technical controls limiting
> >access to the data for permitted uses may not be in place on things like
> >raw logs data sitting on servers waiting for processing and aggregation
> >into a centralized logs storage service.
>
> The idea seems to be that requirements regarding data retention do not
> apply during a six week period (starting with collection, presumably).
> So whenever the specifciation says "retain" you want that to mean "re-
> tain past the six week period where retention requirements don't apply".
> If that is the intent, then I find your text very misleading, starting
> with the use of "MAY". I think this needs to be part of all the reten-
> tion requirements. For instance, instead of saying

The entire spec is already structured around having general principles and
exceptions to these principles (in the form of permitted uses and
user-granted exceptions). I really don't find this to be that different,
but I don't care. I was asked to draft text, I'm certainly open to
suggestions / changes / friendly amendments. I will say though that I don't
share your view of this being problematic from a 2119 perspective.