From: Rigo Wenning [mailto:rigo@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:44 AM
To: Tracking Protection Working Group
Subject: 5.2.2 Policy representation

Dear all,

I would like to raise an issue on policy representation

the current text for Policies reads:

An optional member named policy may be provided with a string value containing a URI-reference to a human-readable document that describes the tracking policy for this site. The content of such a policy document is beyond the scope of this protocol and only supplemental to what is described by this machine-readable tracking status representation.

I suggest the following wording:

An optional member named policy may be provided with a string value containing a URI-reference to a P3P Policy File[1] that describes the tracking policy for this site. The content of such a policy document is beyond the scope of this protocol and only supplemental to what is described by this machine-readable tracking status representation.

1.http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P11/#P3P_markup

Rationale:

By linking to a P3P Policy file, the <Policies> Element therein contains an attribute called "discuri" that indicates the location of the human readable policy. This would allow a site to declare a policy in a machine readable form and in a human readable form. The link to the Specification makes clear that both can not contradict.

Best,

Rigo