Re: explicit-explicit exception pairs

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Kevin Smith <kevsmith@adobe.com> wrote:

> I really do not understand this proposal.  This seems to incorporate all
> of the negatives of explicit-explicit exceptions without realizing the
> possible benefits.  The ad network (and so on down the chain) does not have
> direct interaction with the user.  How would they add elements to the list
> and when would that list be shown to the user?  It would be impossible to
> show it to the user at a useful time, such as early enough for the
> publisher to make an intelligent decision based on the outcome.

I think the point is that there is no list that the ad network presents.
E.g. site says "I include doubleclick, give doubleclick an exception."
Doubleclick gets an exception on that first party, and anyone that
doubleclick redirects to gets an exception, and so does anyone that that
person redirects to. E.g. the exception is transitive down the redirect
chain. So, DoubleClick doesn't have to add anything to the list, there is
no list that's getting shown to the user. Instead, what the user sees under
this proposal is "example.com wants an exception for DoubleClick and
anything DoubleClick serves/redirects to." Things would only change if the
site switched from using DoubleClick to a different ad network.

-Ian